Wednesday, January 12, 2005

WOO HOO!!!

Hockey was awesome. Honestly, I can't emphasize that enough ... it was AWESOME! I was totally nervous at first but then all of a sudden it was my turn to be on the ice and there was no time or reason for me to be nervous. Everybody there knew that it was my first time and that I was an absolute beginner, so they were unbelievably patient and nice with me. Here's how it went ...

Somebody would pass the puck to me and I would watch it coming in my direction. But of course I was still moving so when it actually arrived I would have this sensation of "oh look, there's the puck, going between my feet, now ok turn around really slowly." But since everybody there knew what a beginner I was instead of just instantly stealing the puck away from me, they would let me have it. Letting me have it mostly entailed letting me handle the puck for a little while until I got too close to the net and then they'd take it away from me without a single second's hesitation.

I find it interesting how adding one element can make the entire ordeal that much more complicated. At this point I'm pretty comfortable on my skates. I can skate around and not feel like I'm going to fall over constantly. It's not like I can do a hockey turn or instantly pivot from skating forward to skating backward or even skate backwards at all, but I feel pretty comfortable. But then you add in this stick and a little tiny piece of black rubber and I'm lost. I couldn't figure out how to quickly get my hands on and off the stick so I just left them on there the entire time. And the puck? It's amazing how fast you can lose something black against an entirely white surface.

I had an incredible time though and I can't wait to do it again. This has totally cemented for me the fact that I want to join the MIT club team next year. And now that I know there's this game on Monday nights then it'll be easier for me to get ready to play on a team. Very exciting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Man, it would be so fun if you played! I had an absolute blast last night, too... so happy you enjoyed yourself. It's a fantastic game, I only wish I had the time and the funds to play it more often!

9:43 PM  
Blogger faye said...

Margaret,
That's so cool that you are pushing yourself into new areas...You inspired me today.

Also, I'm really sorry that you had a loss in your life. It sound like you are dealing in healthy ways. When my grandma died last year, I was dumbfounded at how to begin dealing with it, b/c I had not really had any experience with death of loved ones, either. Sometimes, I still find little notes I started writing to her and didn't get around to sending...and, I fight off the regret and think that she may be reading that note with me right then...all this makes me think of Jonathan Swift's quote, 'May you live all the days of your life.'
Later,
Faye

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home