Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mother's day


In honor of Earth Day, I walked to work this morning. It's sheer laziness that I don't do it every day, but today was the first day I've done so since I started working here.

The morning reminded me so much of summertime in California. There was dew on the grass and I could see my breath in the bright morning sunlight. I wore a light jacket because it was too cold to just go in short-sleeves, but the world just kept warming up as I walked and by the time I reached work, the jacket was no longer necessary.

I could feel my body waking up after being too long unused. My tendons and ligaments fought me at first, complaining that I should just have driven. But then with a groan, they popped into place and got themselves together. "Good morning!" they said. "And how nice to see you again!"

I forget how wonderful it feels to move, how much I enjoy the feeling of getting blood pumping and lungs opening. I forget how much I enjoy being alive.

Thank you, Mother Earth, for giving me a place to feel this way. I love you and I promise that I will do my best to respect you. You're the only one we've got and we need to remember that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home