Sunday, October 03, 2004

The bad stuff: I heard somebody say today that it's easier to fail than it is to succeed. And I proved them right. I only ran for about 13 minutes. My right hip was hurting and I was just feeling super tired and I didn't really want to be doing it. So I gave up. What a punk. Feeling totally guilty about it. No real reason to though, I know I'm just going to be going right back again tomorrow. Having one off day isn't that big of a deal.

The good stuff: Oh, I love fall! I love the crisp mornings and the brisk breezes. I love the smell of people lighting their fireplaces. I love the cravings for hot cider and cocoa. I love curling up under a thick blanket because the windows are still open from summer and we haven't turned the heat on yet. I think that this really is my favorite season. I feel unbelievably lucky living in Massachusetts. First of all, because everybody around me feels the need to complain all the time about the weather (no matter what the weather is) but I love all of it. And second of all, because we really have very distinct seasons. And I love all the seasons. I love them! I love this! Yay!

Oh yeah ... I've got a goal! In October the Boston Athletic Association has a half marathon. It's along an absolutely gorgeous route (often referred to as the Emerald Necklace park system) and since it's in the fall, the route will be surrounded by the glorious changing. Well, I obviously can't do it this year. But my goal is to be able to do it next year. It's a half marathon, which is 13.1 miles. I can totally get myself trained to do that in a year. Very exciting.

I was just reading over all the stuff that I wrote before and it's a very odd experience. I spent so much time talking about calories and weight and being thin. Who was that person? Who was I trying to be? Now I talk about what I've done and what I want to do. Sure, sure ... I still talk about the ways that I think I'm failing too, but that's an important part of this process. But I mean really, I've changed so much. Did you know that I don't count calories at all anymore? NOT AT ALL. I still look at them, sure, but really only to check. Now the only thing I ever really pay attention to on the nutritional label is the amount of saturated fat. Other than that, I figure that I'm pretty safe. I sometimes still crave chocolate but the desire for deep-fried cheese is pretty much gone. I want healthy things, natural things, organic things. I want food that makes me feel as good as exercising does. And, when I still occasionally want something that I know is bad for me and totally disgusting, I let myself have it. How am I ever going to remember why I don't eat that stuff if I never do eat it? Gotta help myself remember.

And, while we're on the subject, if you haven't seen "Supersize Me" then go out and rent it right now. That movie kicked my freakin' ass. I will never, ever look at a McDonald's in the same way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mia Goddess said...

Hey, Fall is my favorite season too! I like to get a new coat and fresh notebooks at this time of the year. Of course, as you know, in the Bay Area we don't really have "seasons" per se. And, coming from having almost a week off from running (just once last week!) I can say, with authority, that you're right. It's okay to take time off, and if one day turns into two, that's okay too. And so on. But no matter what, you'll go back to running. You're hooked! xoxo Mia

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home