Tuesday, January 01, 2008

the beginning

These are not resolutions. They are simply things that I want to work on before this time next year rolls around.

So here they are.

1. Start and continue with a bedtime routine for Darwin ... bath-time, story/snuggle-time, and then bed, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

2. At some point really actually transition him out of our bed. As my friend Amanda said, "He's a year old, it's time to take back your life." This is one of the reasons for the above bedtime routine. He needs to start sleeping on his own, so that I can start sleeping through the night.

3. I love to bake. Oh god, do I love to bake. But this holiday season I baked so many cookies that I gained 3 pounds. Not the biggest deal in the world, I know I'm still on the low end of the national average for weight-gain between Thanksgiving and New Year's, but it's still isn't ok by me. Time to scale back on the baking. How about once a week? A treat for Sunday!

4. Which leads us to healthier eating in general. More vegetables, more healthy protein, less saturated fat, less sugar. Eat good to feel good. Don't eat when I'm not hungry. Keep in mind that I am a really good cook and can make healthy food that tastes good. I know how to eat well, I just haven't been doing it.

5. Get a job. I want Darwin to go to daycare and have the opportunity to interact with other children on a regular basis and I'm ready to go back to interacting with the real world. It's time. Of course, this means that I have to make sure the job I get offers me great benefits and a good enough salary that it makes sense for me to be going back to work, but I'm pretty sure that can happen. I've applied for 10 university jobs over the last three days, so here's hoping!

6. When people offer help with Darwin, take it. Don't think about all the things that could go wrong, or how much I want to be independent and not need help. I do, in fact, need help and I need to learn to accept it when it's offered.

7. Work on asking for help.

8. Learn to be better at taking time for me ... no baby, no husband.

9. Go snowboarding more than once.

10. Go snow-shoeing at least once.

11. Go skating as often as possible.

12. Go to Walden Pond at every available opportunity.

13. Write more.

14. Read more.

15. Spend less time surfing the net.

16. Go to the gym. Really, it's time that's entirely for myself, where I'm doing something productive, and don't need to interact with a single person. I should be chomping at the bit to go there ALL THE TIME!!!

17. Go to yoga at least once a week. J and I have decided to commit ourselves to going once a week in the month of January. That's six hours. That's it! After January, we will reevaluate the situation and decide what to do about February. And so on, throughout the year.

18. It's time to start losing some weight. I've got 33 pounds to lose (I'm at 153 as of this morning) and it's not going to just come off on its own. I need to work for it and that's the part that scares me. But that's not a good enough reason to not do it, so let's get it started. I know I can do it, because I've done it before. Here we go weight-loss, here we go!

Happy New Year, everybody!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Hey, about your weight loss goal: I'm totally willing to help out by giving some pushes and adding motivation, but I don't want to do it if you're gonna hate me (I know, I know, that's totally MY issue, but there it is). So I try if you want that, or I can let it be if you want that too.

Something to think about.

xoxo

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home