Sunday, September 19, 2004

I'm on my third day in a row of not running, and it's making me feel guilty. I have school at 8:30 am on Fridays, which means I don't run then. And then yesterday it was pouring rain and I just wanted a day to hang out by myself around the house, so I didn't go. And then this morning I forgot to set the alarm, so I didn't go again. I suppose it's really ok because for the run/walk program you're just supposed to do 3-4 days of it per week. But I was thinking that it would probably be a good idea to go 4-5 days of it instead. Like, every day that I'm not going to school. Oh well, there is always next week.

And it's going quite well! I realized (after spending a lot of time on the runner's world beginners forum) that probably one of the reasons I was having so much trouble running before was because I was trying to go too fast. Everybody kept on saying JUST SLOW DOWN. So I decided to grit my teeth and ignore what I thought everybody else in the gym was saying about me and run at the speed where I felt comfortable. I keep in mind, the entire time, what A says about always running at a speed where she doesn't have to breathe through her mouth. So that's what I've been working on. What that basically amounts to is 5 miles/hour, but I ain't complaining. I figure that if I can run 5 miles/hour for an entire half hour straight then that means I've run 2.5 miles, right? And that will be a personal best for me. And besides, speed work can come later.

So week 2 starts tomorrow! I'll definitely keep everyone informed about my progress.

1 Comments:

Blogger margaret said...

I'm definitely working on not starting out too fast. It's hard though, because I totally want to fly! But I know all that's going to do is cause me trouble in both the short and long term.

My plan is to finish the run/walk thing I'm doing in the gym and then start to run outside. That way I'll be able to run for half an hour continuously and I'll feel better about being out on the river. And I would totally love it if you'd come and run with me some time! Athough, of course, that I'll be holding you up.

I'm just digging on this so much. It's really nice to have a concrete goal in mind. And also a concrete path to get there! Makes me feel like it's actually a possibility that I'll be able to do it.

Smooches.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home