Tuesday, November 16, 2004

-Ran/walked for another 26 minutes plus warm-up, cool-down time.

-Stairmaster for 10 minutes. God, I hate that thing, but I know it's good for my ass.

-Stretching for 10 minutes.

Didn't go skating, didn't do anything else. Not the best workout day that I've ever done, but at least I did it, right? That is the important part.

A note: my morning schedule is very set in stone for the most part. I wake up, make myself a cup of tea, sit in front of the computer (browsing all your blogs) until the tea is gone, and then I go to the gym. I don't ever eat until I get home from working out, I just find that's what works best for me. But this morning I woke up and was famished, so before going to the gym I ate an energy bar. BIG MISTAKE. As soon as I started running I got a side cramp and it didn't go away until I got off the treadmill. Believe me, I did all the breathing tricks I know of. I guess I just need to stick to my regular schedule. Tea doesn't seem to disturb me at all, but the food obviously did. Oh well ... yet another lesson learned.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mia Goddess said...

I'm with you - I don't eat before working out. I especially can't do yoga on anything but an empty stomach. I'm not sure why.

Kind of unrelated, but I read something interesting once that was about food AFTER exercise. It said when fat individuals work out, they get famished. When fit people work out, they *lose* their appetite afterward. I don't recall the physiology of this, but it definitely is true for me. I'm still pudgy, but much fitter; when I would do anything physical before I lost weight and started working out, I would just want to hit the pantry immediately. Oh, a sandwich, too. Yummy! Anyway, I don't even recall when or how it happened, but one day I realized that I can run like my ass is on fire, and then not eat a thing for hours afterward. In fact, it doesn't even *occur* to me to eat. Weird.

Um, like I said, not really related! What I meant to say was "Great job, Margaret!" Sincerely, too. :)
xoxo
Mia

10:03 PM  
Blogger margaret said...

Well, as for my experience, I've discovered that it generally takes me about 45 minutes after I'm done exercising before I'm ready to eat. Up until that point food doesn't even cross my mind. But then all of a sudden, BAM!, I'm starving.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yup, I'm with you, Alicia. I actually notice it in the last 5 minutes of whatever I'm doing... pangs of hunger strike before I even can shower. I find it incredibly satisfying to eat a huge meal after working out - though I only crave good, healthy, hearty things. No junk, ever.

Interesting that the energy bar gave you a cramp/bad reaction. I usually can't eat much before exercising, though I've had my best luck with the bars. Did you drink enough water with it?

10:06 PM  
Blogger Mia Goddess said...

I have to laugh! Who am I kidding? I haven't experienced a "loss of appetite" since 1987. It's more just that I'm not famished - I used to run to the nearest food. Now, I take it or leave it. I get to it when I get around to it. It would have actually caused me pain to not eat *immediately* the first time I tried to do the working out thing. - Mia

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home