Monday, February 07, 2005

Home again, home again...

I have returned from the wild grey yonder, otherwise known as Seattle. It was an excellent visit and I had a wonderful time with my parents.

And I found some inspiration! My dad has this book with awesome weight routines in it so the three of us went to the gym together and did one of the routines. It involved all free-weights (something I had no real previous experience with) and was totally spectacular. We did a full body routine, with something for arms, legs, back, and abs. And the next day I was righteously sore, which added to the coolness. I guess I just never realized before why using free-weights is the way to go: because you have to use your whole body, unlike with the machines. It was great.

And I also did some running, which pretty much sucked. So, Chris, I definitely still want to do the 5k, but I'm not going to be able to do it running. I'm going to have to run/walk it in the most pathetic fashion. Truth be told, I figure that the most important part is that I actually do it and don't just punk out. But it's going to be pathetic. I will definitely work on improving my running before then, but there's still no way I'm going to be able to make it anything more than a run/walk thing. Hope that's ok with you. And if you want to just hang out with me at the beginning and end then that'll be fine. Otherwise it might end up being incredibly boring.

But honestly, that's a big step for me. Normally I would just say fuck it. Normally I would think about how embarassing it will be to show a perfect stranger how bad I am at running. But shit, at least I'm trying, right? There are millions of Americans out there who don't even get off their couch every day. So at least I'm up and off my couch, running as best as I possibly can, right? Yeah. Screw being embarassed. I'm going to run/walk the 5k with the best of 'em.

(Thanks for listening to my rant)

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

What was the title of that book you referenced?

I certainly started out run/walking. I think it will just be fun to go out and participate. Go for it!

12:34 PM  
Blogger margaret said...

The book is Muscle Mechanics by Everett Aaberg. It has pictures and specific weight routines to do. Pretty cool.

10:02 AM  
Blogger margaret said...

Oooh, I love skipping! That sounds great! And thank you for your support. I will run/walk my heart out and know that you'll be there for me the entire way. Awesomeness. :)

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home