Thursday, October 28, 2004

Ok, it's the middle of the freakin' night, so I'm only posting something very short here.

Tonight ... in a miracle which would have previously been considered utterly impossible ... the Red Sox won the World Series. For the first time in 86 years this town can consider itself a winner. The fans stuck through it all, thick and thin, with the knowledge that someday their loyalty would pay off. And honestly, even if it didn't, it wouldn't have changed their opinion about the team. There's nothing like rooting for the home-town boys.

So we walked up to Central Square, hooting and hollering, in order to stand around with a bunch of perfect strangers, tied together by pure joy. And tomorrow we will awake into a city which lost its voice to the celebration of the night before. But every scratchy throat, every tired face, will be worn as a badge of pride ... because our team beat the damn Yankees and an 86 year old curse, to become the World Series champion.

Today I am proud to be from Boston.

Go Sox.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mia Goddess said...

It was magical! I'm really happy for you and them right now. Though I've not specifically followed the Sox, I am a baseball fan, at the core, and anyone who loves the game was hoping they could do it. Sweep? Never in the wildest dreams! Enjoy xoxo Mia

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from KS...but, when I looked at the photos of the victory and the fans this morning, I just felt emotion about this--it's so great! I saw a sign that said, "Our Parents & Grandparents Thank You".

7:03 AM  
Blogger margaret said...

It really is an amazing time, not just for Boston but for the entire sport of baseball. I think even the St. Louis fans could respect the fact that for us, this was a totally historic occasion.

Thank you both for your good wishes!

7:08 AM  
Blogger faye said...

Margaret-Oh, I'm "anonymous," by the way...Don't know why it posted that way...I'm sure it's the computer and not me. :)

7:44 AM  
Blogger faye said...

http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm

Check out the above link, Margaret, on the origins of Christmas.

p.s. I am super-stalkerish today, with 3 comments!

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home