Friday, March 11, 2005

And on the 11th Day ...

... the detox was over. Started out pretty much the way the rest of the last week and a half has, and it finished with a bang.

Breakfast: Kashi with banana and rice milk.
Mid-morning snack: red lentil and coconut soup with brown basmati rice.
Lunch: big green salad and a fruit salad.
Afternoon snack: coffee tasting at Starbucks College, haven't had coffee in about a year so I got WIRED.
Dinner: teriyaki chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, ice cream, bread and butter.

Water: 45 oz.
Exercise: 45 minutes walking.
Sleep: 6 hours.

Weight lost: 3 lbs.

Lessons learned:
- I don't need dairy and meat and sweets in my everyday life in order to survive.
- My body feels so much better when I'm eating the way that I have over the last week and a half.
- I have it within my power to control my eating.
- Even when this was all over and I had the potential to eat whatever I wanted, none of it really appealed (except for the ice cream).
- I don't need to have milk and honey in every single cup of tea I have (although I'm really excited to be drinking just that right now).
- I would be happier if I ate this way more often.
- Brown basmati rice and rice milk are fabulous (my two new discoveries).
- I can cook really good vegetarian food.
- Sushi is the greatest invention of all time.

I feel amazing. Truth is, I'm going to pretty much go right back to this way of eating. I will, of course, add in some meat and dairy and sweets sometimes, but not as often as I used to, that's for sure. And if I do, and I need a reminder, I can always do this again.

It's good to be alive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mia Goddess said...

That "splurge" says it all, doesn't it? I am so critical of myself, and I get down on me for what/how much I'm eating at times. But then I compare it to strapping on the old feed bag at the height of my overeating, and it's just nothing really! You must feel the same way, looking at your BIG DINNER! Probably felt like a ton of food, but looking at it there, it's a nice treat. A nice treat! Congrats on a making a plan and sticking to it.

10:10 PM  
Blogger faye said...

Margaret, Congratulations on your detox! So, you like the rice milk? I've never tried it. I drink a ton of soy, though. Is rice milk better for you? Huh. Maybe I'll have to get some...Your detox diet sounds sooo great--I love the way I feel when my body has all natural stuff in it--free of creepy hormones and antibiotics, and in the case of dairy, some even worse stuff. Oh, good luck having any dairy at all once your body is used to not having it...almost every time I eat dairy now after casting it off for the most part, my body tells me WTF?! in more ways than one... :), Faye

10:26 AM  
Blogger faye said...

I was just thinking it is too bad we don't know eachother in the world of actual physical people, b/c then we could be "faye and margaret"--sounds like roommates at a retirement home, or Bingo junkies with those big bags of "dobbers." Maybe we could have a third friend named Lois.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home